Sunday, November 30, 2008

Newfound Fact: Crabs are camera shy

Yesterday when I was just walking on the beach just behind the hotel, a small crab almost made me jump 'cause I thought it was a rat or something like that. It was not just any crab, its size was much bigger than other common crabs at the beach. So, I thought it was fun to follow where it went. It hid beneath the sand in a small hole that was there already. I guess it was some other crab's hole. I took a small stick to get it out but it snapped it instead. So, it hung there until I brought it to the sore. I put it down and it let the stick off. It didn't run away, it stayed where exactly I put it down starring at the stick. I teased it by sticking the stick to its claw. It reacted differently this time. It didn't directly snap the stick but ran reaching my toes. I stepped back while trying to hold it with the stick. It was a bit sneaky so it wasn't so easy to get rid of it. Finally, it reacted snapping the stick. We ended up having a battle; it snapped back each time I aimed the stick to its claws. It last quite a while. Like, 2-3mins. Until I came up with a thought..

"This will be fun to videotape me and the crab battling, and put it on my Youtube!"

So, I tried to let the crab 'hold' the stick and dragged it to somewhere 'safe' before I went to take my camera. Meaning, a place where it couldn't run away so when I got back with the camera it'd still be there. I ran to my room to get the camera and caught up with the crab again. Well, actually I had breakfast first before taking the camera in the room. It seemed to be surprised I came back with a bigger weapon. That was just a mild guess because the crab seemed to freak out when I came back with a camera in my hand. LOL

Again, I let it snap the stick and drag it out of the 'safe' place.. to the sand. I put it down and we started fighting again. The video was on already. After several short seconds, it quickly ran and escaped to a hole!! Nooo.. I didn't see the hole before. I didn't notice there was a hole! I dug it with the stick and my hand, but I couldn't get it out.. the hole was much deeper than I thought.

Why?? We battled good earlier before I took the camera. Why would it have to run away this time?... Now I strongly believe that crabs are naturally camera shy. Here's the video.



Enjoy!



2 comments:

testing123 said...

luckkyyy.. everytime i encounter a crab, it'll either run away or dig a hole.. damn crab

Rad Sujanto said...

No, it did run away when I came near to it. Not long after that it attacked my toes so I grabbed a stick to 'defend' myself.. well, I don't have claws so a stick is comparable enough as my weapon. =p