Monday, January 26, 2009

Right at Chinese New Year's midnight celebration in the house

I won't say anything much this time as I've pretty much shared the same topic in the previous post before this one. I'm coming up with more pictures of David and others in the house welcoming the Chinese New Year right at midnight.

Marcus came around too tonight. But since I told him that David probably would need his time with his family tonight so he probably would not invite us to the dinner tonight but another time less private. So he didn't. I tried hinting by letting him know that I was going (with Marcus) to have dinner out but he didn't say anything about the dinner. Never mind. Again, I'm not complaining as I understood that he needed some good quality time with his family while doing the Chinese New Year's Eve tradition.

I came back home at around 11pm and as expected David and others were still around in the living room watching the ceremony from the laptops shown live online. I asked more about the ceremony and watched it for a bit and 'gave up' lol. I wish I could understand Chinese language. It was a 4 hours long ceremony. David said it was a show of mixed things, from magic show to dances. I did briefly watch the magic and the dance shows.

A bit later just right at midnight time I went out to say Gong Xi Fa Cai to every one in the house especially David and his parents who were all busy either cooking or eating. They had dumplings.

(Image 1 to left: David and his parents and Marcus enjoying the dumplings. Image 2 to left: David's mum, Lily and Wang Nan cooking) Bad news is... David couldn't make his 'promise' (well it wasn't a promise actually) that he said to me earlier this week that they would make chicken dumplings for me as they knew I couldn't eat pork. They only had pork dumplings tonight so I couldn't join. A bit disappointing but it was ok I tried to enjoy their celebration as much as I could by taking some quick pictures of them doing things without interrupting them too much.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Marcus said...

Yuck, the back of my head doesn't look good. Sorry that they only had pork, let's get some 'halal' variant tomorrow in Chinatown.

Rad Sujanto said...

Wow, thank you, Marcus! It was ok I understood as you told me that it is a tradition for Chinese to have pork in their meal. Thanks, again! =D

Anonymous said...

Hmm... That's quite mean not to invite you for the reunion dinner.. You're a housemate. Could have at least invited even though you're not chinese.. Anyway, yeah.. CNY most shops closed.. lol! Too bad huh? Sentosa's open.. And I'm going now.. lol! ;P

By the way, you'll be staying here till? Did u answer my earlier qn? Are u a pr?

Anonymous said...

Oh.. And Mustafa Center too.. :)
Have you been there? hee.. :D
Anyway, enjoy your holidays ya!

Rad Sujanto said...

Well he did invite me but that was earlier last week and he kind of forgot it. But it was ok he's been having his family visiting so I had to understand his priority.

I think I'll check out Chinatown tomorrow. Not sure though what there is but at least three friends of mine suggested me the place and it does certainly sound a right place.

Not sure about Mustafa, it's in Little India so I would only go there when I need to get some things cheap lol

Thanks, hope you're enjoying Sentosa too. I think I'll go back there some day to just walk on the beach and relax a bit. I think I'll only have to pay the entrance fee and walk on the beach without having to pay anything extra.

Anonymous said...

I thought it would have been nice or thoughtful if they have invited you for dinner as well since you are his housemate. I would have extended an invitation if I had a housemate.

Oh well..nevermind, enjoy your time with your buddies.

I am Chinese but I don't eat pork..not for religious reasons but I just don't enjoy the taste like how some ppl don't eat lamb becoz they find it has a gamey taste.

Rad Sujanto said...

It was ok, MBL. I guessed he was just a bit busy having his family visiting him. Maybe he didn't want to make me feel uneasy while they were having pork in the meal. Well after I took some pictures I just went back to my room so they would feel so bothered by my presence there.

Thanks for your kind of 'support', MBL.

Anonymous said...

Is Chinatown open?? I think it'll be closed.. Well anyway, you should head on down to Sentosa by first week of February cos they are having this Spring Flowers thingy.. Good for photos.. :) I went there earlier but there was a massive jam at the entrance so we skipped it.. Prolly going there in a few day's time..

I agree with MBL.. It's just courteous to invite u as you're the housemate.. I would feel something if I were you.. Well anyway, I'm not you. So, I guess it's ok if you think so.. ;)

Rad Sujanto said...

Seriously? Chinatown will be closed? Why? Isn't it where the main celebration takes place instead? Strange...

Do you know when it will be closed? I will plan something in the first week of Feb to go Sentosa then. Hope it won't be as crowded as the last time you were there.

Thanks a lot, Cashmere, for the useful info! =)

littletiara said...

ta-daa... omg, how fun. celebrating chinese new year there, must have more 'feel' than her, lol. xD at least the gathering seems pretty fun :D

Rad Sujanto said...

Yes, more everything seems big here when it comes to such celebrations. This country seems to love celebrating things vastly. That's good and fun but also encourage the people to go out more and spend more money =)