Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Prank on me over a 111yo first-time-dad

Just a moment ago Marcus hinted me with a story of a 111yo father who's become a big news since a couple of days ago internationally. Of course as someone with a not too-low-IQ I wouldn't just believe what he said to me. I kept insisting it wasn't true and he finally showed me the story on BBC news to prove the truth of the story. I found out after googling it that it's become a big news on other several news websites.

Oh, it's truly true! Impossible...

No, it's not. Marcus didn't tell me a lie about the story. It was all true. In fact I was the one who's been wrong. And I'm not lying to you...

Apparently the 111yo father happened to be a 111yo lizard who just had babies recently.

Read this:

A rare New Zealand reptile has become a father, possibly for the first time, at the age of 111.

The keepers of Henry, a tuatara, had thought he was past his prime - especially after showing no interest in females during 40 years in captivity.

But he mated with 80-year-old Mildred last July and 11 of the eggs she produced have now hatched.

Henry's keepers have put his newfound vigour down to a recent operation to remove a tumour from his bottom.

'Love story'

Henry arrived at Southland Museum in the South Island city of Invercargill in 1970 and, his keepers say, soon became overweight and idle.

He was known for his foul temper and had a tendency to attack other tuatara - forcing the museum to keep him in solitary confinement for many years.

But since his operation, Museum tuatara curator Lindsay Hazley said he had had a "major personality transplant".

"I have done lots of eggs before but these are just special because they are Henry's," Mr Hazley told the Southland Times.

Tuatara, which are found only in New Zealand, are sometimes referred to as "living fossils".

They are the only surviving members of a family of species which walked the Earth with the dinosaurs more than 200 million years ago.

The museum now has about 70 of the rare creatures, and Mr Hazley is hopeful that Henry might provide more offspring in the future.

He lives with three female tuatara "in great harmony", said Mr Hazley, and described the hatching of the eggs as "the completion of a love story".
Well, it's not just about the tricky prank. I personally wonder how those people know the real age of the lizard. Did they cut it in half and count the rings and put the two 'pieces' together again? Oh maybe the lizard has a diary consisting of its life so far...

Never mind

Live long Henry! -Not sure why I feel tempted to say King Henry...

4 comments:

foongpc said...

I didn't know a lizard can live up to 111 years old! And I didn't know a 111 year old lizard can still have sex! Pretty amazing! : )

Rad Sujanto said...

Well let's say the lizard managed to fool the scientists that it is 111yo! lol cause I couldn't believe it myself. second option to believe the story is to think that Henry's gf cheated on him with another younger and fit looking lizard! lolol

Well it is a rare lizard so I anything it does should be rare as well hehe

testing123 said...

woahh.. That is one horny lizard!

Rad Sujanto said...

hahahaha,,, hmmm hold on what do you mean by horny? =D