Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bodyboarding on Kuta beach

As planned, today I bodyboarded on Kuta beach. Click here to know more about bodyboarding.



The board itself is called Boogie board. If you're in Kuta and want to do bodyboard you don't have to have your own board. On every corner of the beach people rent boards, mostly for surfing and bodyboarding. Honestly before today I was going to take a surfing lesson but it was too late when I was out on the beach earlier today, so I decided to try the Boogie board which was much more simple than standing on a surf board. What you do on a Boogie board is just laying your self on the board and let the wave take you back to the shore. Well, although it's much more simple than surfing, it doesn't mean it is that easy either. To bodyboard you have to wait 'till the wave almost hits you before you jump on the board and then give some pressure on it so the wave brings you to the shore, and it has to be a quite strong wave (well it also depends on your how big you are, I guess). Anyway, the safety rope that's normally attached to your leg on a surfing board, it's attached to your hand on a Boogie board.

My problem with surfing is the fact that I'm not skilled yet. I couldn't just rent a surfing board and tried it without any guidance from some pros. Even to lay my body on a Boogie board for the first time was not so easy as I kept falling to the water, so, I can't imagine if I did a surfing without any experience or training before. Ph speaking of renting a Boogie board, they charge 100.000IDR for 2 hours. No worries, every price is negotiable here. I managed to get a low price for 60.000IDR.

Badly I couldn't take my camera with me as I didn't think I could trust the boards rent guy. I had so much fun. I almost spent 2 hours non-stop, swimming to the sea, dragged to the shore, and swimming back to the sea and so on. It's quite tiring to walk/swim through the waves, FYI.

I enjoyed it so much and want more and more.. lol.

No comments: