Friday, February 20, 2009

Say hi to Mas Belalang!


So, a couple days ago I went to the International Day event in NTU which was obviously held by NTU. D'uh! It was so much fun. The participants were from different countries aka imported, although they were all also NTU students of course.

My favorite stall of all was the Vietnam one. I liked it a lot because they just offered more attractive things. Games. Traditional ones.

So much fun.

So I got attracted quickly by the crowd in front of the stall. What's so interesting? I saw almost everyone was holding a piece of long leaf in their hand. What's that for? What are they making?

So I just watched them folding-bending-whatevering the leaf. Hmmm??

I was too confused and I decided to go to other stalls first. I didn't ask anyone because... hmmm because... because.

I went across the room there was this India stall just next to Kazakhstan. It was quiet but quite as fun as Vietnam. The stall girl was willing to write any volunteered name from anyone in Hindi and Tamil language. So, I wrote mine on a piece of paper and left the rest with her and voila!

Rad Sujanto in Hindi (above) and Tamil (below)


My full name in Hindi


My full name in Tamil


I continued my world tour to Malaysia. They were very creative... (chillax, Foongpc, Mei, Ikmal, MiChi, Twilight Zone, Tekkaus etc... oh God I have lots of Malaysian friends! Yay!) Chill down... Woooo look at your ballooning head ;D

Ok, they had this Petronas Two Towers made of recycled soft drink cans measuring twice my height (and my height isn't 2cm!)

So, just next Malaysia there was of course Singapore (oh beloved country!... just cause I'm here...)

I just left a signature on their sign board. "VISIT SINGAPORE, VISIT ...."

I did a lot of other things but they are not as boring as what I really wanted to share in this post so I skipped them.

So, before I ended my world tour I went back to Vietnam to kill my curiosity.

It was much quiet this time. I asked one of the stall guys. What can I do here? I pointed out a piece of coconut leaf laid on the floor too.

Oh let me show you... he said.

Bla... bla... bla... this and that... there and here... in and out... down and up... lick and suck... the last one was a joke if u didn't get it.

So apparently he was guiding me to make a grasshopper...


What??! A grasshopper??! OH that is INTERESTING!

Interesting but not quite easy. Easy but quite complicated. Well, complicated but my interest killed the uneasiness...

Voila, my first grasshopper of a coconut leaf. I'm pretty sure I can teach my love niece at home!

Oh you know what... get a coconut leaf, each of you and let's do a parallel video conference and I'll show you how to make it :D --> $10 each

So anyway thanks to Marcus for giving me this cool name. I decided to name it Mas Belalang. Say hi to Mas Belalang everyone!

For non Malaysians and Indonesians Mas Belalang literally means Brother Grasshopper


6 comments:

littletiara said...

ooo! That seems like so much fun! I'd love to go there~ I love crowd and especially foreign students!!!

And the belalang thing is soooo interesting! I don't even know how to make a ketupat, lmfao!

Anonymous said...

What a nice event and what a way to promote countries and...oneself ;)

So, now you can write your name in hindi and tamil?

Nice grasshopper...and you're charging $10 to teach us? :P

Twilight Man said...

I am not sure where this belalang leaf originated from coz I only saw them in Cambodia, North Thailand and Vietnam. I guessed they had no Toys R Us and so poor kids had to make this to play during the wars. If someone throws into your garden, maybe can kena charmed pula. LOL

Rad Sujanto said...

Yea... Tiara, I used to be able to make ketupat too. Now I can't =((

The event was really fun indeed. They also had a talent show on the stage, a magician walking around the room showing off his ability of course. There were also free foods...

Badly I couldn't hang out there for any longer than 1 and a half hour because I had to meet a friend and badly again it was the last day of the event =((

Rad Sujanto said...

Mei Mei Mei, for you it's free! Ssshhh no telling anyone! Just between two of us...

I will try to copy the Hindi and Tamil name of mine and keep on practicing until I master it lol

Hehehehe... my blog needs a huge promotion! Oh god I wish I was a famous artist! =))

Rad Sujanto said...

Hahaha... they didn't have Toy R Us... hmmmm like my hometown has one! seriously we don't have Toy R Us either! So I guess we're more lame for that =(

Hmmmm I guess those three countries used to gather their kids all in one place during the war and after the war was finished they moved the kids back to their own country. so the brought the 'toys' home also =) How's my theory, Twilight Zone?