Thursday, January 8, 2009

Abacus is so easy

... to play with. I just finished my dinner and went upstairs and found my niece asking me a lot of random questions. Result, I couldn't use the computer 'peacefully'. The other night I invented a small game using an abacus (sempoa in Indonesian language) and asked her to play with me. Since I'm not that genius as a good uncle for her, both of us didn't really know what to do with the abacus, properly. Well we knew it was a manual calculator used when calculating something, of course! Hehe. So we ended up just playing with it, instead of 'using' it, and it was honestly really fun.

And just now she decided to play the game again. She seemed bored so I had to listen to what she wanted or I wouldn't be able to use the computer without her loads of questions.

Let me explain a little bit about the game. Each of us has to create a word or any random set of letters by moving the abacus pieces -secretly, so no peeking or cheating. Once created the other person has to try to read the word (if readable) or letters (spelling letter by letter). The first time we played it it was very easy as either of us weren't really exploring with difficult words/letters to guess.

Tonight we didn't just use letters but also numbers and even symbols. It got a bit more difficult.

The pieces can be confusing. We do have some kind of an agreement how an S should be and also some other strange shaped letters and symbols.

Here are some pictures I quickly took just to share with you so you're not too clueless what exactly I've been trying to say here =) Hehe. Enjoy!



They are SILK, BRA, BALE, HUT, I *heart* U, and SOLE

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh..pardon my ignorance but how can one read a word from those coloured beads?

The abacus is an amazing instrument but I never learned to use it..so I am clueless.

Rad Sujanto said...

It's pretty tricky to our eyes. Sometimes you gotta to stand back a bit far from the beads (yea, beads! not pieces hehe) to 'see' the word or the letter. Maybe it's almost as tricky as the Magic Eyes game. Hehe

And also, again, it is my camera that doesn't really capture good pictures so the abacus pictures looked really dark there.

I'm clueless to how to use it properly. I was taught once and got it at the time but now I have forgotten. =)

foongpc said...

Ha ha! You must be damn free to create a word-forming game using the abacus! And I thought you knew how to use the abacus with your title "Abacus Is So Easy"! LOL

Rad Sujanto said...

Hehe it was a 'trap' =P

I used to know how to use it but since I've stopped using it I have forgotten how.

Yes it was so much fun. We just played it tonight again. This time my niece used a comma! So difficult to guess but I managed to guess at the end. Haha

=)